Friends of the Palatine Library
The energetic and dedicated Friends group has been a library affiliate for more than 60 years. By fundraising efforts the Friends have provided furnishings, materials and equipment that otherwise would not be available for use by library visitors and staff.
Used Book Sales
Guidelines for Sale Days
- Strollers cannot be accommodated in the sale rooms.
- Books set aside must be purchased. No setting books aside for later consideration.
- Electrical devices are not allowed.
- Over 95% donated
- Books, computer items, A/V and more
- Sorted into many categories
Due to the large number of donations received, we do not have time to check many of the books for value. Only books in good condition go into our sales.
The sale is constantly restocked until all the available items are on the sale floor.
About the Friends
The Purpose of the Friends
- To serve as community advocates for Library services, programs, facilities, and needs.
- To give monetary support to the Library through fundraising activities.
- To encourage and promote donations to the Library.
- To provide cultural, social, and educational opportunities for people who are interested in books and libraries.
What the Friends Do
- Provide the Library with equipment, services, and other materials through fund raising.
- Provide cultural activities for the Library.
- Promote recycling of books through used book sales.
- Promote literacy through the funding of outreach programs.
- Sponsor the Summer Reading Program for children and adults.
- In the last decade, the Friends have contributed nearly a quarter of a million dollars to the Library District.
- The Friends will accept donated items whenever the Main Library is open.
- For large donations, the Friends provide curbside pick-up at the Main Library on the last Saturday of every month from 9:15 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Benefits of Membership
- Members get in the opening night of all book sales free of charge.
- Members receive THE FRIENDLY LEAF newsletter, keeping them informed of all upcoming programs, projects, used book sales, and announcements of major donations.
Cost of Membership
- A membership costs $10.00.
- The Friends of the Library have purposely kept the cost of membership to a minimum.
- A membership application form is available at the Library's Information Desk or Circulation Desk.