Natalie and her little brother try to be brave during the year their father is gone. They send him packages and talk to him via computer. Their mother, grandmother, neighbors, and friends reassure them and help them learn new skills until finally they are able to welcome their father home.
Helpful notes at the back of the book list ways to support military families.
Other picture books at the Library on this subject include:
- Sometimes We Were Brave by Pat Brisson: a boy's Navy mom is often away.
- Hero Dad by Melinda Hardin: a boy compares his military father to a superhero.
- Our Daddy Is Invincible! by Shannon Maxwell: a family helps Dad recover from injuries.
- Love, Lizzie: Letters to a Military Mom by Lisa McElroy: a girl writes to her mom who is posted overseas.
- Daddy's Home by Carolina Nadel: a returned soldier has post-traumatic stress.