Downloading eBooks and audiobooks to the Nook Tablet or Nook Color
Download eBooks and audiobooks to your Nook Tablet, Nook Color, NookHD+ from My Media Mall for free. There are never overdue items or late fees; titles automatically return to the library’s collection when due.
Prepare Your Nook
Before you begin, your library account needs to be current with no fees above five dollars and have a PIN set up.
- If you forgot your PIN, go to http://catalog.palatinelibrary.org/, click on the Login button on the top right of the screen. Click on the Forgot your Pin? button. A new PIN will be emailed to you.
- If you do not have a PIN, go to http://catalog.palatinelibrary.org/, click on the Login button on the top right of the screen. Enter your library card barcode number and an alphanumeric PIN 5 to 30 characters long. The next screen will ask you to re-enter your PIN in 2 boxes as confirmation.
- Download the free OverDrive app from the Barnes and Noble App Store on your Nook. This only needs to be done once.
- You will also need to create an Adobe Digital Editions ID from www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions.
- Click on the Sign In button on the upper right hand corner and select Create an Adobe Account.
Note* Having an Adobe account will ensure that the eBooks you download will not be locked and tied to only one device. For the Nook, you do not need to download Adobe Digital Editions. You simply need to create an Adobe account.
Download a Title
- Tap on the OverDrive app on Nook tablet.
- Tap the Get Books button.
- For the second generation Nook tablet, the Get Books button is located on the top right corner of the screen. It’s the book icon with a plus symbol over the cover.
- For the first generation Nook tablet, tap the Menu button on the bottom of the screen then tap Get Books. The Menu button is the button with three horizontal lines inside a circle.
- Tap Add a Library.
- Type Palatine Public Library District and tap Search.
- Tap on Palatine Public Library District.
- Tap My Media Mall.
- On the top right corner of the OverDrive screen, tap Sign In.
- Tap on [select library] and choose Palatine Public Library District.
- Enter you library card number and PIN.
- Tap Sign In.
- Select a title for download. Each title will have either a book icon or a headphone icon on the top right corner. The book icon is an ebook and the headphone icon is an audiobook.
- Once a title is selected, tap the Borrow button.
- You will be prompted to enter your Adobe Digital Editions log-in information. Tap Settings. Enter you Adobe Digital Editions login information. This only needs to be done once.
- Tap Authorize
- Press the Back button to return to the OverDrive screen.
- Tap the Download button next to the title.
- The message “title has been downloaded to bookshelf” will appear briefly.
- Go to your bookself:
- For the second generation Nook tablet, tap the Menu button. Tap Bookshelf. The Menu button is located on the top right corner of the screen. It’s the three vertical dot icon button.
- For the first generation Nook tablet, tap the Menu button on the bottom of the screen then tap Get Books. The menu button is the button with three horizontal lines inside a circle.
- Tap on the book in the bookshelf and enjoy!
Return a Title
- In your OverDrive bookshelf, tap on the More button on the right side of the title. It is a button that looks like a circle and plus symbol inside.
- Tap Return/Delete.
- Confirm by tapping Return/Delete. The title will disappear from your bookshelf.
- You can find dozens of resources on the OverDrive Help Page.
- You can request a one-on-one appointment with a friendly librarian; http://www.palatinelibrary.org/about-us/contact-us/book-a-librarian