Sign up starts April 17 at 9:00 a.m.
Call 847-358-5881 ext. 167 or sign up online.
- All computer classes require basic mouse and keyboarding skills.
- Classes are open to valid District cardholders.
- Classes are limited to individuals 12 years and older.
- Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment. Registered students will be notified of the cancellation.
Tell Us What You Think
Help us design better classes for you. Please take a moment to fill out this Computer Class Evaluation.
Microsoft Office 2010
- Wednesday, May 13, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 20, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Prerequisite: Word Basics
- Wednesday, May 6, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 2, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
- Monday July 6, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 12, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Navigate and format a spreadsheet, enter basic formulas and functions, and create a basic chart.
- Wednesday, May 20, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 23, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
- Monday July 20, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 19, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn to use a table to sort and filter data, apply conditional formatting, and create a pivot table. Use “Logical” and “VLOOKUP” functions, and run a Macro.
Prerequisite: Excel Basics
- Monday, June 1, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn beginning Publisher skills and apply them to post cards, brochures, and newsletters.
- Thursday, May 14, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, May 27, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Learn how to create slide presentations in this introductory class.
PowerPoint Extras: Custom Animation
- Tuesday, June 23, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn to add, edit, and layer animations in your slides.
Prerequisite: PowerPoint Basics
PowerPoint Extras: Charts and SmartArt
- Wednesday, June 10, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn to enhance your presentations with attractive data displays.
Prerequisite: PowerPoint Basics
- Monday, June 15, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Thursday, July 2, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m
Learn all about navigating the new Windows 8 interface, toggling between the start screen and the desktop, and downloading Windows apps.
- Thursday, June 4, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, June 22, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
This class covers the basics of Facebook, including how people use it to keep in touch with friends and family.
- Monday, June 8, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Use Google Drive to archive fi les, collaborate on projects, and as a Microsoft Office alternative. Participants should create a Google account before class.
How to Sell Your Stuff Online
- Tuesday, May 26, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, July 28, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
Is your house starting to look like a warehouse? Find out how to turn your clutter into cash using Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, and Etsy.
- Wednesday, June 24, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Learn how to upload and share videos on YouTube. This class covers the basics including playlists, subscriptions, channels, and more. Participants should create a gmail account before class.
Diagnosing Health Information on the Internet
- Friday, June 26, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
- Thursday, August 20, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
There is a lot of health information available online. Discover how to evaluate health information on the web, as well as find reliable websites for researching health information.
- Wednesday, July 8, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Covers Google's most popular social media platforms, Google+ and Hangouts. Learn how to create circles, upload videos, share posts, edit profile information, and video conference on Hangouts. Participants should create a gmail account before class.
Create a Website with Wordpress.com
- Thursday, August 13, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn to make a simple blog/website with this free tool.
Computer Boot Camp
- Monday, July 13, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Start with a review of mouse skills and work your way to becoming an Internet surfer in this fast–paced class. This class is for beginners or “near beginners”.
- Thursday, July 16, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
You will learn the iPad features, controls and settings as well as how to navigate and organize your screens.
iPad for Older Adults
- Friday, May 15, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
- Monday, August 17, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
Understand the basics of using an iPad and downloading some of the best senior-centric apps. Discover iPad features, controls, and settings as well as how to navigate and organize your screens.
Computer Class Series for Older Adults
SET ONE: 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
- Monday, June 1
- Thursday, June 4
- Monday, June 8
- Thursday, June 11
SET TWO: 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 5
- Friday, August 7
- Wednesday, August 12
- Friday, August 14
Start from the beginning and improve your computer skills.
This series is progressive. When you sign up, you are committing to all four classes. No mouse skills required.
Bring your device, account information, and Palatine Library card with PIN.
Download to Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD
- Thursday, June 25, 6:00 – 7:00 p.m
Learn how to download ebooks to your Kindle from MyMediaMall or the 3M Cloud Library.
- Kindle Fire/HD
Download to Tablets and Smartphones
- Wednesday, July 15, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m
Learn how to download ebooks, audiobooks, music, and movies to your iPhone/iPad or Android device using MyMediaMall, 3M Cloud Library and hoopla digital.
- Android smartphones/tablets
Digital Media Programs
- Thursday, May 21, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m
Learn how to get the most out of your iPhone’s camera with various photo apps.
Photoshop Elements 12
- Wednesday, June 17, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m
Learn how to improve your photos and apply unique effects in this demonstration-only class.
Cutting the Cable
- Tuesday, August 4, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Save money and discover the newest streaming services and devices for movies, music, and productivity such as Google Chromecast, Roku, Netflix, Hulu, and others.