Sign up starts Friday, August 15 at 9:00 a.m.
Call 847-358-5881 ext. 167 or sign up online.
- All computer classes require basic mouse and keyboarding skills.
- Classes are open to valid District cardholders.
- Classes are limited to individuals 12 years and older.
- Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment. Registered students will be notified of the cancellation.
Tell Us What You Think
Help us design better classes for you. Please take a moment to fill out this Computer Class Evaluation.
Microsoft Office 2010
- Thursday, September 18, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 22, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday, September 25, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 29, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Prerequisite: Word Basics
- Tuesday, September 2, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, September 22, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Monday, October 13, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 12, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Navigate and format a spreadsheet, enter basic formulas and functions, and create a basic chart.
- Tuesday, September 9, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
- Monday, September 29, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Monday, October 20, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 19, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn to use a table to sort and filter data, apply conditional formating, and create a pivot table. Use “Logical” and “VLOOKUP” functions, and run a Macro.
Prerequisite: Excel Basics
- Wednesday, October 15, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Create a customized newsletter for your organization or group.
- Tuesday, September 16, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 8, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn how to create slide presentations in this introductory class.
PowerPoint Extras: Sound and Video
- Wednesday, November 5, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn to make a creative multimedia presentation that includes narration, embedded videos, and more.
Prerequisite: PowerPoint Basics
PowerPoint Extras: Charts and SmartArt Graphics
- Wednesday, December 3, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Find ways to enhance your presentations with attractive data displays.
Prerequisite: PowerPoint Basics
- Monday, October 27, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn all about navigating the new Windows 8 interface, toggling between the start screen and the desktop, and downloading Windows apps.
- Friday, October 3, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
This class covers the basics of Facebook, including how people use it to keep in touch with friends and family.
- Friday, October 10, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Learn the details about Facebook’s privacy and security settings, so you can control who sees your photos, videos, and “likes”.
- Tuesday, October 21, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Discover how to get the most out of this photo-sharing and bookmarking site.
- Thursday, October 23, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Create the raw code for building webpages and review a few new tags in HTML5.
- Thursday, October 30, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Use Google Drive to archive fi les, collaborate on projects, and as a Microsoft Office alternative. Participants should create a Google account before class.
How to Sell Your Stuff Online
- Tuesday, November 4, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
- Monday, December 1, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Is your house starting to look like a warehouse? Find out how to turn your clutter into cash using Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, and Etsy.
Your Health is in Your Hands
- Saturday, November 8, 10:00 – 11:30 a.m.
Learn about apps and helpful websites for your health using your mobile device. Bring your tablet or smartphone.
Listen to Music Online
- Thursday, November 13, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Come for an introduction to some of our favorite ways to fi nd free streaming music including Pandora, Spotify, and Hoopla.
- Tuesday, December 9, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
Discover library resources and online tools to help you search for jobs, find online resume assistance, and develop workplace skills.
- Thursday, October 16, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
You will learn the iPad features, controls and settings as well as how to navigate and organize your screens.
Getting the Most Out of Your Email
- Monday, November 10, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Are you just replying and forwarding your email messages? Learn more about your email account.
iPad for Older Adults
- Thursday, September 11, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
Understand the basics of using an iPad and downloading some of the best senior-centric apps. Discover iPad features, controls, and settings as well as how to navigate and organize your screens.
Computer Class Series for Older Adults
1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 15
- Friday, October 17
- Wednesday, October 22
- Friday, October 24
Start from the beginning and improve your computer skills. This series is progressive. When you sign up, you are committing to all four classes.
No mouse skills required.
Bring your device, account information, and Palatine Library card with PIN.
eLibrary Downloads and Streaming
- Thursday, October 9, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Come learn about the digital resources you can access from your tablet and smartphone with your Library card: Hoopla for streaming movies, MyMediaMall for downloading ebooks, Zinio for magazines, and more!
Download to Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, and Kindle App
- Tuesday, October 21, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 18, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. - CANCELED
Download ebooks and audiobooks to your Kindle Fire/HD using MyMediaMall or 3M Cloud Library.
Compatible devices: Kindle Fire/HD, iPad/iPhone with Kindle App downloaded, Android smartphones/tablets with Kindle App downloaded.
Download to Tablets and Smartphones
- Tuesday, December 2, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Download ebooks and audiobooks to your smartphone or tablet using MyMediaMall, 3M Cloud Library, or Hoopla.
Compatible devices: Android smartphones/tablets, Nook Color/HD, Nook Tablet/HD, iPad/ iPhone
Digital Media Programs
- Wednesday, September 17, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Learn how to get the most out of this photo sharing and bookmarking site.
- Thursday, October 16, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
In this presentation class, learn the basics of photo editing with Photoshop Elements.
Navigating the Open-Education Landscape
- Wednesday, December 10, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
This presentation class provides an overview of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs), nano degrees, open educational resources, and much more!