Sign up starts December 18 at 9:00 a.m.
Call 847-358-5881 ext. 167 or sign up online.
- All computer classes require basic mouse and keyboarding skills.
- Classes are open to valid District cardholders.
- Classes are limited to individuals 12 years and older.
- Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment. Registered students will be notified of the cancellation.
Tell Us What You Think
Help us design better classes for you. Please take a moment to fill out this Computer Class Evaluation.
Microsoft Office 2010
- Tuesday, February 10, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 4, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 17, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 18, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
Prerequisite: Word Basics
- Monday, January 5, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Monday, February 9, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 10, 2:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 15, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Navigate and format a spreadsheet, enter basic formulas and functions, and create a basic chart.
- Monday, January 26, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Monday February 23, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 24, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 29, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn to use a table to sort and filter data, apply conditional formating, and create a pivot table. Use “Logical” and “VLOOKUP” functions, and run a Macro.
Prerequisite: Excel Basics
- Monday, February 2, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Monday, April 27, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn beginning Publisher skills and apply them to post cards, brochures, and newsletters.
- Wednesday, January 14, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 24, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Learn how to create slide presentations in this introductory class.
PowerPoint Extras: Custom Animation
- Wednesday, March 11, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn to add, edit, and layer animations in your slides.
Prerequisite: PowerPoint Basics
PowerPoint Extras: Sound and Video
- Wednesday, April 22, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn to make a creative multimedia, presentation that includes narration, embedded videos, and more.
Prerequisite: PowerPoint Basics
Access: Part One
- Thursday, April 9, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Prerequisite: Word and Excel Advanced or equivalent skills
Access: Part Two
- Thursday, April 16, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Prerequisite: Access Part One
- Friday, January 23, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 25, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Learn all about navigating the new Windows 8 interface, toggling between the start screen and the desktop, and downloading Windows apps.
- Wednesday, January 21, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, February 18, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
This class covers the basics of Facebook, including how people use it to keep in touch with friends and family.
- Tuesday, October 21, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Discover how to get the most out of this photo-sharing and bookmarking site.
- Monday, March 9, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Use Google Drive to archive fi les, collaborate on projects, and as a Microsoft Office alternative. Participants should create a Google account before class.
How to Sell Your Stuff Online
- Monday, February 16, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, March 3, 2:00 – 3:30 p.m.
Is your house starting to look like a warehouse? Find out how to turn your clutter into cash using Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, and Etsy.
Getting the Most Out of Your Email
- Tuesday, February 3, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Are you just replying and forwarding your e-mail messages? Learn how to unlock the full potential of your email account.
Internet Security: Part I
- Thursday, March 5, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn the basics of malware and how to stay safe while online.
Internet Security: Part II
- Tuesday, March 17, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Discuss major current cyber threats and events including retailer and healthcare data breaches, cloud storage hacks, mobile device security, and more. Learn how it happened, what was stolen and steps you can take to reduce the impact of an incident.
Computer Boot Camp
- Tuesday, January 6, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Start with a review of mouse skills and work your way to becoming an Internet surfer in this fast–paced class. This class is for beginners or “near beginners”.
- Wednesday, April 15, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
You will learn the iPad features, controls and settings as well as how to navigate and organize your screens.
iPad for Older Adults
- Wednesday, January 7, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 11, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
Understand the basics of using an iPad and downloading some of the best senior-centric apps. Discover iPad features, controls, and settings as well as how to navigate and organize your screens.
Computer Class Series for Older Adults
SET ONE: 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 28
- Friday, January 30
- Wednesday, February 4
- Friday, February 6
SET TWO: 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 22
- Friday, April 24
- Wednesday, April 29
- Friday, May 1
Start from the beginning and improve your computer skills.
This series is progressive. When you sign up, you are committing to all four classes. No mouse skills required.
Bring your device, account information, and Palatine Library card with PIN.
Download to Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD
- Wednesday, February 18, 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Learn how to download ebooks to your Kindle from MyMediaMall or the 3M Cloud Library.
- Kindle Fire/HD
Download to Tablets and Smartphones
- Thursday, January 15, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 28, 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
Learn how to download ebooks, audiobooks, music, and movies to your iPhone/iPad or Android device using MyMediaMall, 3M Cloud Library and hoopla digital.
- Android smartphones/tablets
- Nook Color/HD
- Nook Tablet/HD
- iPad/ iPhone
Digital Media Programs
- Wednesday, January 21, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Learn how to get the most out of your iPhone’s camera with various apps.
Find the Right App for That
- Wednesday, February 4, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn to how to find, evaluate, and manage mobile apps. We’ll end the meeting with an app share.
Photoshop Elements 12
- Thursday, March 26, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Learn how to improve your photos and apply unique effects in this demonstration class.
iMove/Garageband for iPad
- Thursday, April 23, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Learn the basics of iMovie and Garageband for your iPad. Take your creativity with you wherever you go.