Sign up starts Tursday, August 15 at 9:00 a.m.
To sign up call 847-358-5881 ext. 167 or sign up online.
- Classes are limited to individuals 18 years and older.
- Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment. Registered students will be notified of the cancellation.
- Computer classes require basic mouse and keyboarding skills.
Tell Us What You Think
Help us design better classes for you. Please take a moment to fill out this Computer Class Evaluation.
Microsoft Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2010 classes are open to valid District cardholders.
- Wednesday, September 25, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. Tuesday
- October 22, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, November 4, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, December 2, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Overall introduction to some of the most important features of Word.
- Saturday, September 28, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
- Friday, October 25, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 6, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Thursday December 5, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Explore the advanced featuresof Microsoft Word.
Prerequisite: Word Basics.
Word Business Features
- Wednesday, November 27, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
Review some of the Word and Advanced Word classes: adding headers and footers, tables, bullets, and borders.
- Monday September 9, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 8, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday, November 7, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 3, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn to create a spreadsheet, enter basic formulas and create a basic chart.
- Monday September 23, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Tuesday
- October 29, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday, November 21, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 17, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn to sort, filter and format your data plus create a PivotTable.
Prerequisite: Excel Basics.
- Monday, October 7, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Understand organizing information with digital notebooks: adding, deleting, tagging, screen clippings, tables, and MS SkyDrive.
Prerequisite: Basic Word skills.
- Monday, November 18, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Create, upload, share, access, and organize MS Office documents to the “Cloud” with 7GB of free storage.
- Monday, October 21, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Make a customized newsletter for your business or organization.
- Wednesday, September 25, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 15, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Learn how to create slide presentations in this introductory class.
Prerequisite: Basic Word skills.
Access: Part One
- Tuesday, December 10, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Create a relational database with tables, relationships, input masks, and data integrity.
Prerequisite: Advanced MS Word and MS Excel, or equivalent experience.
Access: Part Two
- Monday, December 16, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Covers forms, queries, reports, and importing/exporting data.
Prerequisite: Part I.
Getting the Most Out of Your Email
- Saturday, August 17, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, September 18, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Monday, November 11, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Are you just replying and forwarding your messages? Unlock the full potential of your email account.
How to Sell Your Stuff Online
- Saturday, July 20, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, September 3, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 26, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Is your house starting to look like a warehouse? Learn how to turn your clutter into cash using Craigslist, eBay, Amazon, and Etsy.
Photo Editing with Photoshop.com
- Tuesday, August 20, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Learn to crop photos, fix red eye, adjust exposure, and more with this free tool.
- Monday, September 16, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, October 14, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Friday, November 15, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
Use Google Drive to archive files, collaborate on projects, and as a Microsoft Office alternative. Please create a Google account before class.
Diagnosing Health Information on the Internet
- Wednesday, October 30, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 6, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
According to Pew Research Center (2013), one third of U.S. adults use the Internet as a diagnostic tool. Discover how to find accurate health information.
- Wednesday, December 11, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Learn how to use Picasa to organize, share, and edit your digital photos.
Basic Computer Boot Camp
- Saturday, November 30, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
Start with a review of mouse skills and work your way to becoming an Internet surfer in this fast-paced class. This class is for beginners or “near beginners.”
Computer Class Series for Older Adults
- Wednesday, October 9, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
- Friday, October 11, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 16, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
- Friday, October 18, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
Start from the beginning and improve your computer skills. This series is progressive. When you sign up, you are committing to all four classes.
No mouse skills required.
iPad for Older Adults
- Wednesday, September 4, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 23, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 13, 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
Understand the basics of using an iPad and downloading some of the best senior- centric apps. Discover iPad features, controls, and settings as well as how to navigate and organize your screens.
eBooks & Audiobooks
Bring your device, account information, and Palatine Library card with PIN.
Download to Tablets and Smartphones
- Wednesday, October 23, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday, December 5, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
Download ebooks and audiobooks to your smartphone or tablet using MyMediaMall or 3M Cloud Library.
Compatible devices: Android smartphones/tablets, Nook Color/HD, Nook Tablet/HD, iPad/ iPhone.
Download to Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, and Kindle App
- Monday, October 28, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 6, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
Download ebooks and audiobooks to your Kindle Fire/HD using MyMediaMall or 3M Cloud Library.
Compatible devices: Kindle Fire/HD, iPad/iPhone with Kindle App downloaded, Android smartphones/tablets with Kindle App downloaded.
Download to E-Ink eReaders
- Thursday, November 14, 9:30 – 10:30 a.m.
Download ebooks to your eReader device.
Compatible devices: Kindle Regular/Paperwhite/Keyboard, Nook Simple Touch, Sony eReader
Tablets & eReaders
Zinio: Access Magazines Online
- Monday, September 30, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, December 9, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Learn how to get free access to magazines on your tablet or computer using Zinio through the library website.
iPad/iPhone Tips and Tricks
- Tuesday, November 5, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
Get comfortable with your iPad or iPhone by learning basic functions and maintenance.
Digital Media Programs
- Tuesday, October 15, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
Download free apps to enhance your iPhone or iPad camera, use fun and easy editing software that will make your photos pop, and share your images with friends and family.
There’s An App for That
- Tuesday, October 29, 6:00 – 7:30 p.m.
App share! We will demo some of our favorite apps on Apple and Android devices. Do you use some apps you think are fabulous? Come share your favorite apps with us.
Using Ancestry Library Edition
- Tuesday, October 22, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Discover some tips and tricks to get the most out of Ancestry Library Edition.
You Can’t Google This! Be an Online Sleuth
- Saturday, October 26, 9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
Find information that can’t be found using Google. Whether at home or at the Library you have access to genealogy research, business lists, public records, and computer tutorials through the Library website with your Palatine Library card.
Using AccessNewspaper Archive
- Friday, November 8, 10:00 – 11:30 a.m.
Pro-Quest trainer, Paul Webb, shows how to use AccessNewspaper Archive to find newspaper articles, obituaries, and more.
Finding Your Roots Online
- Tuesday, November 19, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Discover how genealogy sites and Library resources can help you find family information.
Power Employment Workshop
Fridays, 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- August 16
- September 20
- October 25
- November 15
- December 20
This all-day workshop from Business and Career Services, Inc. will cover smart goals, resume and cover letter writing, effective job searching, and interview techniques.
Saturdays, 9:30 – 11:30 a.m.
- September 7
- October 19
- November 16
Fred Ettinger from Business and Career Services, Inc., gives a brief presentation about creating a resume in today’s market, followed by a one-on-one review of your resume with tips for improving.
Limit 10. Valid District cardholders only.
Uncovering the Hidden Job Market
Wednesdays, 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Log on to this webcast to learn to use ReferenceUSA as part of your career search strategy.
Sign up, visit http://is.gd/jobmarket.
How to Harness the Power of Negative Thinking
Thursday, September 26, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Mohamed Faheem, of Business and Career Services, presents strategies of using pessimism and identifying weaknesses to achieve success.