From early March through May 2013, the first floor of the Main Library will be renovated. The Library will remain open and continue to offer our full range of services for the duration of the project, with as few disruptions as possible.
Learn more about the project, and view floor plans for each area of the renovation in our Renovation Overview.
Update 1: Friday, March 1, 2013
Construction beginning in the Children's Area
Update 2: Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Circulation and Audiovisual Desks Moving
Update 3: Wednesday, March 20, 2013
New Carpeting to be Installed
Update 4: Thursday, April 11, 2013
Garage Closures in April
Update 5: Saturday, April 27, 2013
Garage Closures Next Two Weeks
Watch this space for further updates.
The renovation includes the following improvements:
- Re-carpeting of the entire first floor (nearly 40,000 square feet, exclusive of the recently renovated Meeting Rooms),
- Merging and consolidating the Circulation and Audiovisual service desks and staff workrooms,
- Converting four storage rooms into study rooms in the Audiovisual area,
- Repurposing a larger staff storage room as a technology help center,
- Creating two Digital Media Labs for dynamic content creation (with new Mac Pro computers, a robust software suite, and a number of camera and microphone options), and two media digitization suites where patrons can use new iMac computers and other equipment to digitize and preserve media in analog formats (such as records, tapes, print documents, and photographs),
- Relocating the children’s nonfiction collection from the second floor to the first floor so that all children’s materials and services are on the same floor,
- Expanding and creating new and engaging early childhood literacy resources, including games and furnishings to support early reading and technology skill development,
- Replacing older chairs, tables and other furnishings,
- Adding automatic door openers to the public restrooms on both floors of the library, and
- Refinishing the public stairwell and entryways from the parking garage.
1. When was the last time the library was upgraded? And when was it originally built?
The second floor of the Main Library was renovated in 2009. The public Meeting Rooms were renovated in 2012. The Main Library building originally opened in 1993.
2. Why is this an important renovation for Palatine residents?
This is the first renovation that the first floor of the Main Library has seen since it was originally opened in 1993. Over the past twenty years, the needs of our community have evolved and the Library is renovating in response to those needs.
3. What is the status of the renovation plans?
Schematic design plans were offered for bid in January. Sealed bids were received and opened on February 5. On February 13, the Board of Library Trustees approved our architect’s recommendation of Frontier Construction as the general contractor for the project.
4. What is the cost of the project?
The project’s budget is not to exceed $900,000.
5. How is it being funded?
This project was budgeted for over a period of years and will be funded through a combination of reserves, the annual operating budget, and contributions from the Palatine Public Library District Foundation and the Friends of the Palatine Library. No new taxes were levied to fund the project.
6. When will construction begin? When do you expect completion?
Construction is scheduled to begin in early March, with major completion by May 17, 2013. The Library will remain open and continue to offer our full range of services for the duration of the project, with as few disruptions as possible.
As the Circulation and Audiovisual service desks are being redesigned, temporary desks will be necessary for the next few months. Library patrons are already enjoying our four recently launched Express Checkout stations, so we expect this self-service option to help ease traffic at the temporary desks during the project.
It’s our goal to conclude renovation activities by the kickoff of our popular annual Summer Reading Program on June 1, 2013.