We offer free Notary Public service by appointment only. Make an appointment.
Because of concerns and safety issues due to Covid-19, this service has limited availability at this time.
An official Notary Public will verify your identity and your signature on legal documents, NOT the content of your document, with proper photo identification.
- Bring current, unexpired photo identification (in English) with a signature issued by a U.S. state or federal government such as a driver's license, state ID card, U.S. military ID, or U.S. passport. International passports are only accepted if they are in English.
- DO NOT sign the document beforehand. Documents must be signed in the Notary's presence.
- When witnesses are required in addition to a Notary, provide your own witnesses with current photo identification with a signature. The library will not supply witnesses for you.
- Documents must be in English.
Due to Illinois notary law, we CANNOT notarize:
- documents that are already signed.
- any real estate documents or transactions pertaining to Cook County.
- copies of documents.
- government Form 1-9 or Employment Eligibility Verification.
- documents recorded by the County (e.g. birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates).
Notary Publics will not provide service if the requestor, document, or circumstance of the request raises an issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt, or uncertainty for the Library. In this event, the Notary Public, at their sole discretion, may decline to provide notary public service.