Submit a Request
We accept requests for information in writing. You may use this standard form for your request, although it is not required.
Submit your written request by mail, fax, or email:
Melissa Gardner, FOIA Officer
Palatine Public Library District
700 N. North Court
Palatine, IL 60067
Please keep the following things in mind as you work on your request:
- Indicate that your request is being made under the Freedom of Information Act.
- Specify the records requested to be disclosed for inspection or to be copied. Indicate which, if any, records to be certified.
- If inspected, an employee of the Library District must be present throughout the inspection. Records for inspection only are available by appointment weekdays, 9:00 am-5:00 pm, in the Business Office at the Main Library.
- The first 50 black and white copies are free. Subsequent copies are $0.10 each. Color copies are $0.10 each. Certified records include a fee of $1.00 per page.
The FOIA Officer will respond to a written request within five working days of receipt of the request. The response will be the information requested, a notice for an extension, or a denial of the request. Some responses may include a denial of only part of the request. A denial or extension will include the reason as stated in the Freedom of Information Act.
You may appeal a denial of access by the FOIA Officer by contacting the Public Access Counselor (PAC) in the Illinois Attorney General’s office within 60 days. Upon receipt of an appeal, the PAC will review the public record, determine whether the record is open to public inspection, and respond in writing to the appeal within seven business days. The PAC may be contacted at the Public Access Bureau, 500 S. 2nd Street, Springfield, IL 62706; 217-558-0486; email@example.com.
The entire Freedom of Information Act is available at www.ilga.gov under Illinois Compiled Statutes, Chapter 5 (General Provisions), ILCS 140 (5ILCS 140).
Records We Keep
These are some of our records that are available for public viewing:
- Monthly Financial Statements
- Ordinances and resolutions
- Operating budgets
- Annual audits
- Library policies
- Annual reports to the Illinois State Library
- Minutes of the Board of Library Trustees Board meetings that have been approved and released
- Documents included with monthly Board meetings
- Organization chart
- IMRF Employer Cost and Participation Information
Certain types of information maintained by the Library District are exempt from inspection and copying as defined by the Freedom of Information Act.
In compliance with Illinois Public Act 097-0609 (5ILCS 120-7.3), a list of Palatine Public Library District employees with total compensation packages that exceed $75,000 is available for inspection in our administrative office. The office is located at the Main Library, 700 N. North Ct. Palatine, IL 60067 and is open weekdays, 9:00 am-5:00 pm.
About the Library
The Palatine Public Library District is a district library that provides services, programs, and materials to its patrons in support of the diverse needs of the community.
The Library’s current and past operating budgets and completed audits are available on the Budget and Planning page. Funding sources are monies appropriated through Cook County property taxes, state personal property replacement taxes, state grants, interest, gifts, fines and fees for service. Taxes are levied for:
- Corporate purposes (general operating expenditures)
- IMRF (Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund - employees’ retirement benefit)
- Social Security (employees’ FICA expenses)
- Building and Maintenance (caring for the buildings and equipment)
- Liability (insurance premiums, workers’ compensation insurance, and risk management)
The Library District employs approximately 38 full time and 71 part time persons.
The Library Board of Library Trustees, which meets regularly on the third Tuesday of each month, exercises control over policies and procedures.
The Library District is required to report and be answerable for our operations to the Illinois State Library in Springfield, IL.