Library Referendum Text Only
Palatine Public Library District Staff and Board of Trustees are grateful to the community for their support of the Library Referendum. Unofficial results show the Referendum passed with 64% of voter approval!
Because of your support, we can move forward and plan our next steps to address our major capital repairs, increase services, and begin interior renovations.
We look forward to many productive years of providing the community with MORE of What You Love.
Please watch our website for updates and opportunities to provide us with your input. If you wish to be invited to upcoming focus groups to give your input, please submit your email: http://eepurl.com/gmlYsf
Palatine Public Library District Board of Trustees
About the Library Referendum
This referendum asks voters to approve a limiting rate increase on the Library’s property tax levy of 0.075%. This amount will provide for all of the Library’s financial needs through 2035. The Library’s limiting rate would go from 0.276% in 2017 to 0.351% in 2019. For a median value home in our Library District, the estimated increase in annual taxes is $52.
How would this affect my property taxes?
|Assessed Home Value||$100k||$150k||$250k||$266k (Median)||$350k|
|Library Tax in 2019||$54||$96||$179||$193||$263|
|Additional Cost per Year||$15||$26||$48||$52||$70|
|Additional Cost per Month||$1.25||$2.17||$4.00||$4.33||$583|
Most up-to-date information as of 2/11/19.
Why We Need Your Help
The Main Library building is 25 years old and the facility systems are aging past their life expectancy. To address the facility issues, the Library needs over $5.8 million in the next six years. Although the Library has nearly $1 million in capital reserves, this amount would not cover all the costs and keep the doors open at the same time.
Most urgent capital project needs:
- significant portion of roof needs replacement
- updates to failing HVAC system
- upgrades to energy-efficient lighting
You’ve Asked for MORE
You told us you love our customer service, diverse materials, and engaging programs, and you said you want MORE!
✔ IF YES – THE REFERENDUM PASSES
The Library will be able to offer:
- MORE preparedness to maintain our facilities and remain good stewards of taxpayer dollars
- MORE service hours for your convenience
- MORE collaborative spaces and study rooms to accommodate students, entrepreneurs, and groups
- MORE investments in new technology and bandwidth to keep up with advances in technology
- MORE collaboration and partnerships with schools, businesses, and local organizations to serve our diverse community
- MORE new books, movies, music, downloadable content, games, and resources
How We Compare to Our Neighbors
|Library||Population||Revenues||Revenues Per Person|
|Indian Trails (Wheeling)||67,010||$7,665,836||$114.40|
|Palatine - If Yes||88,983||$8,246,030||$92.67|
Essential to the Community
99.9% of survey respondents from our Community Survey in 2016 agreed that the Library is essential to the community!
By the Numbers – Fiscal Year 2017-2018
- 3624 items checked-out per day
- 72% of residents have a library card
- 65,434 computer sessions last year
- 500,033 total visits last year
- 1370 visits per day
- 8410 room bookings last year
- 1370 free programs
- 52,777 program attendees last year
Resources and Links
Please contact Andrea Lublink, Communications and Marketing Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org